This has been one of the better weeks in a while, especially the end of it. My best friend has been here to visit, a short but sweet stay, and it’s been wonderful. Lots of food and drinks involved – of course! and some shopping too. Another weekly update ready for you here.
1. I wrapped my first couple of Christmas gifts. I sort of had to as I knew my friend was coming over and since I’m not going to Sweden this year to celebrate I wanted to send a couple with her. Others can wait till January when I go over for a week. I love the lead up to Christmas but not particularly overjoyed by Christmas itself. I’m pleased to have already started the Christmas shopping, the advent candles are ready to be lit and I’m planning posts for #blogmas.
2-3. I love painting my nails, as you might already know by now. I find it even more fun when I paint them inspired by my environment. This week I had time for two. The first is based on the look of Body Shops Plum Body Butter which smells lovely. I could have done with some silver glitter on the grey nails but maybe next time. The second design felt a bit more party and matched well with my colourful clutch bag. I wanted to try zigzag patterned nails but the tape I’ve got isn’t the best where the colour sips through under, making it look messy instead. Looks like I’ll be sticking to the accent nail design for a while.
4. When in London I always eat food at Benito’s Hat before catching the train at King’s Cross. It’s the best fast food burrito I have ever eaten. the chargrilled chicken is amazing and you get a lot of filling to keep you full for a long time. I’m secretly hoping they’ll open up in Leeds too but that might also take away from the fun of going on the few occasions I’m in London for work.
5. As I mentioned, there’s always a lot of food and drinks involved when my best friend and I meet up. We went for cocktails on Friday night and I took her to The Alchemist. They might not make the most gorgeous drinks flavour wise BUT most certainly the most fun and creative. In one of the drinks, ‘White Cosmo’, a frozen orchid was floating around making it very decorative! the other one is easier to guess it’s name, ‘Bubble Bath’, and those bubbles kept coming for a while making it difficult to drink the cocktail. Tip – don’t inhale the bubbles! They make you go all funny.
6. There’s not many vegetarian places that I know of in Leeds but we visited two of them and they both have really nice food. A lot of locals have already visited and written about Bundobust and finally I managed to have time to go there. It’s an all vegetarian Indian restaurant and it’s situated near the train station, if you didn’t know already. I’ve heard it’s really popular during evening to we tried it during lunch in stead, making sure we would get a table. They have lunch offers on, getting 2 dishes for only £7. Unfortunately the dish I had been recommended, Paneer & Mushroom Tikka, wasn’t included in the offer but I got it anyway. I also had the Onion Gobi Bhaji Bhaji. At first glance it didn’t look like the portions were big enough to fill us up but don’t get fooled by that. I couldn’t finish mine which is a shame but I wanted to try more than one dish. Maybe next time, sharing would be a better option to get the most out of more lovely, perfectly spiced, dishes.
7. Second choice of vegetarian choice was the Roots & Fruits café situated in the Grande Arcade, near the Grande Theatre. It’s been around for a while and it’s very popular amongst vegetarians. After changing our mind on having afternoon tea we had a late lunch here on the Saturday and so did many more people. Very full but we managed to get a table. My friend ordered the lasagne, with lots of cheese, and I ordered the falafel. Home made falafel and they where gorgeous, really lovely flavour. I wouldn’t have minded some sort of sauce to go with it though as it was a bit dry only served with pita bread and hummus. I’d like to come back as they staff put a lot of love and effort into the food and serve it really artistic.
Have you discovered any new food places in the past week? If so, what was your experience?