I took a little break from baking as I find it difficult to not eat it all myself and I can’t love on sugar, as much as I’d want to. This weekend, I picked it up again and made a rhubarb cake with white chocolate and cardamom. My mum had baked it a while ago and it looked so good. It’s also rhubarb season so perfect timing as I picked some up in the shop. Let’s not waste time, here’s the rhubarb cake recipe.
Rhubarb Cake Recipe
This cake takes around an hour to make and makes 12-16 pieces.
150 gram butter
300 ml sugar
350 ml flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cardamom
100 gram white chocolate – buttons or chopped
100 ml single cream
150 gram rhubarb
1 tbsp sugar
50 ml pearled sugar
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees
- Melt the butter and leave to cool
- Chop the rhubarb into 1cm thick pieces and coat in sugar
- Whisk eggs and sugar to a white fluffy texture
- Mix all the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, cardamom and white chocolate
- In turns, add the dry ingredients mix, the butter and the cream into the egg and sugar mixture
- Add the mixture to a greased round cake pan
- Top with rhubarb and pearled sugar
- Bake at the bottom of the oven for 50-60 min
- Leave to cool
I enjoyed this cake cake on its own but you can serve it with a dollop of whipped cream, a scoop of ice cream, a bit of quark or vanilla custard if you want to add something extra. Personally I think there’s enough going on with the rhubarb, chocolate and cardamom. They balance each other well. The cardamom giving it a homely taste and the white chocolate balancing out the tartness from the rhubarb.
Have you got any rhubarb recipes to share? I’ve previously shared a refreshing rhubarb drink recipe here which would go really well with a slice of this cake.