I’ll be honest, I’m not a massive fan of sausages – I prefer hot dogs. If I have to eat them (not that anyone has ever forced me), I think vegetarian options are tastier than pork BUT when I discovered that Wild and Game makes sausages with pheasant meat, I had to give them a try. Wild and Game* specialize in British game meats, sausages and pies. They’re all stuffed with protein which is what you need for a healthy diet. Pheasant meat for example has less fat, lower cholesterol and more protein than chicken.
I have a couple of wild boar and venison steak in the freezer which I shall try another time but with the Pheasant & Pear sausages, I put together a healthy salad, perfect to bring to work for lunch. Normally I would use apples in salad but to bring out the pear taste in the sausages, I opted for conference pears instead and it works really well.
Pheasant & Pear Sausage Salad
A pack (6) of Wild & Game Pheasant & Pear sausages
Baby spinach leaves
1 red onion
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
50 ml olive oil
50 ml lemon juice
1. Cut the sausages into small slices and fry with a bit of oil. Around five minutes or so
2. Slice the pear/s and soak in a little bit of lemon juice
3. Mix olive oil, lemon juice and mustard to a creamy sauce. Add salt and pepper
4. Chop the onion and mix with spinach leaves, blue cheese, pear, sausages, pine nuts and sausages
5. Drizzle the mustard sauce over and serve fresh or divide up into lunches boxes
Have you tried game before? What type of sausages do you like and how do you have yours? Let me know if you try this sausage salad recipe and what you think of it.
*I was sent delicious sausages and steaks from Wild & Game in return for this blog post. All views, words and photos are as always my own.