I have already shared some ideas for Christmas drinks in this blogmas series but I suppose the most Christmassy of all drinks is mulled wine. I wanted to try something different so I made my own mulled cider with rum instead. I thought it would be a good idea to continue the rum trend, after all it’s one of my favourite spirits! Here’s the recipe if you would like to give it a go you too.
Ingredients for Mulled Cider with Rum (3-4 portions)
0,5 litre Apple Cider
1 dl Spiced Rum
1 cinnamon stick
10 or so cloves
Method (15-20 minutes)
- Pour the cider in to a pan together with the cinnamon stick and cloves
- Bring to boil, then turn the heat of and leave for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, slice the apple half
- Add the rum, as much as you prefer for flavour, and the apple pieces
- Warm up and keep warm when serving
- Add other or more spices depending on what you like. For example cardamom, lemon, orange, ginger etc.
- Be aware it’s quite strong in alcohol. I used a 8% cider and rum isn’t shy when it comes to alcohol percentage.
I love that my new mug from the German Market came to use once again. I must admit, this mulled cider doesn’t taste or smell much different to traditional mulled wine. I believe it’s all in the spices you use and warm alcohol all have the same smell. I’d say this is a bit stronger than normal but it’s great if you have a cold as you can feel how your airways clear up whilst drinking it. I’ll be sipping away on this and eating saffron buns this Christmas.
Have you got a favourite mulled wine recipe? Have you tried any with cider or rum?